Fun facts from 1968
- A new 1968 Chevrolet Corvette coupe cost $4,663.00.
- United States Population: 200,706,052
- World Population: 3.556 billion
- A carton of cigarettes cost $9.00
- Gallon of gas in U.S. was 33 cents in 1968
- Cost of a U.S. first-class stamp: $0.06 as of 1/7/68
- Minimum wage in U.S. was $1.60 per hour
- Lyndon B. Johnson was President and Hubert H. Humphrey was Vice President
- The rock musical Hair opens on Broadway
- April 4- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King is assassinated in Memphis, TN.
- June 5, 1968- Robert F. Kennedy is assassinated in Los Angeles.
- December 21- American astronauts Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders started their orbit around the Moon
- Sept. 24, 1968- 60 Minutes debuts on CBS
- Jan 22- Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In airs for the first time, on NBC
- Sept 26 – The premier of Hawaii Five-O on CBS
- Sept 23 - Here's Lucy premieres on CBS
- Jan 27, 1968- The Lennon Sisters make their final appearance on the Lawrence Welk Show.
- Nov. 17 - NBC breaks away from a pro football game to air Heidi, a TV movie, making viewers furious.
If you’re having celebrating your 40 year old birthday, you should know these facts:
- 1968 World Series was: Detroit d. St. Louis Cardinals (4-3)
- NBA Championship: Boston d. LA Lakers (4-2)
- Stanley Cup: Montreal d. St. Louis (4-0)
- NCAA Basketball Championship: UCLA d. North Carolina (78-55)
- Kentucky Derby Champion was Forward Pass
40th ACADEMY AWARDS from 1968
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Estelle Parsons in Bonnie and Clyde
- Best Motion Picture in 1968: In the Heat of the Night
- Best Actor: Rod Steiger in: In the Heat of the Night
- Best Actress: Katharine Hepburn in: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
- The 10th Grammy Awards were presented on Feb. 29, 1968
- Record of the Year: "Up, Up and Away," by the 5th Dimension
- Album of the Year: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (Capitol)
- Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male: Glen Campbell "By the Time I get to Phoenix"
- Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female: Bobbbie Gentry "Ode to Billie Joe"
- Best Performance By a Vocal Group or Chorus: “Up, Up and Away" performed by the Johnny Mann Singers
- Song of the Year for 1968: "Up, Up and Away," Jimmy L. Webb, songwriter
- Best R&B Female Solo Vocal Performance was given to Aretha Franklin for "Respect"
CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS IN 1968--
- January 14: LL Cool J
- April 19: Ashley Judd
- August 9: Gillian Anderson
- August 14: Halle Berry
- September 4: Mike Piazza
- November 12: Sammy Sosa
It's a fact that we hope you too, have a happy 40th birthday and will celebrate with a fun box of retro candy!