Fun Facts From 1962
FUN FACTS FROM 1962-
- The federal debt: $302.9 billion
- United States Population: 186,537,737
- Life expectancy: 70.1 years
- World Population: 3.136 billion
- February 20: John Glenn orbits the Earth four times
- July 9: Andy Warhol had his first art gallery opening in Los Angeles
- August 5: Marilyn Monroe died
- John F. Kennedy was President, and Lyndon B. Johnson was Vice-President
- Cost of a first class postage stamp: 4 cents
- Unemployment: 6.7%
TELEVISION FUN FACTS FROM 1962-
- April 16: Walter Cronkite succeeds Douglas Edwards as anchorman of the CBS Evening News
- September 23: The Jetsons premieres on ABC
- September 26: The Beverly Hillbillies premieres on CBS
- October 1: The Lucy Show premieres on CBS
- October 2: Combat! premieres on ABC
- October 10: McHale's Navy premieres on ABC
- December 31: Match Game premieres on NBC
- Zenith markets its first color tv
- World Series: NY Yankees vs San Francisco Giants (4-3).
- NFL: Green Bay Packers vs New York Giants (16–7)
- Kentucky Derby Champion: Decidedly
- Stanley Cup: Toronto vs Chicago (4-2)
- NCAA Basketball Championship: Cincinnati vs Ohio St. (71-59)
- NCAA Football: USC (11-0-0)
- Golf: Arnold Palmer wins the Masters Tournament
- World Cup: Brazil vs Czechoslovakia (3-1)
1962 ACADEMY AWARDS -
- The 1962 Academy Awards were presented at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on April 8, 1963
- Best Motion Picture: "Lawrence of Arabia"
- Best Director: David Lean for "Lawrence of Arabia"
- Best Actor: Gregory Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird"
- Best Actress: Anne Bancroft in "The Miracle Worker"
MUSIC FUN FACTS FROM 1962--
- Record of the Year: “I Left My Heart in San Francisco,” Tony Bennett
- Album of the Year: "The First Family," Vaughn Meader
- Song of the Year: "What Kind of Fool Am I”
- The Rolling Stones formed
- Elvis Presley had the hit singles "Return to Sender," "Can't Stop Falling in Love," and "Good Luck Charm"
- Ray Charles had the hit single "I Can't Stop Loving You"
- January 24: Brian Epstein signs as manager of The Beatles
CELEBRITY BIRTHDAYS - BORN IN 1962--
- February 4: Clint Black
- February 7: Garth Brooks
- February 11: Sheryl Crow
- March 2: Jon Bon Jovi
- March 12: Darryl Strawberry
- March 21: Rosie O'Donnell
- May 12: Emilio Estevez
- June 19: Paula Abdul
- July 3: Tom Cruise
- August 4: Roger Clemens
- August 5: Patrick Ewing
- August 16: Steve Carell
- Novemebr 11: Demi Moore
- Novemebr 19: Jodi Foster
- Novemebr 28: John Stewart
Now you have a list of interesting and fun facts from 1962! Next time you're shopping for a friend, co-worker, or family member who's celebrating their 50th birthday, remember that this collection of nostalgic candy is perfect for someone born in 1962.